Ngai Tukairangi’s core business is growing world class kiwifruit. Located on the fertile volcanic soil of the Bay of Plenty and the shallow alluvial soils of Heretaunga, the Trust constantly produces high yielding, high value, sustainable kiwifruit crops year on year.

The orchard operations core visions and goals drive a continual focus on productivity, sustainability, and integrity.

The Ngai Tukairangi team are proud of their results but continue to strive for improvement to provide increased profitability back to the Trust and the community.


Our Matapihi orchard is the cornerstone of our business. It’s rich soils have nurtured our growth over the last thirty years. Nestled against the banks of the Matapihi Peninsula with a total area of 57 hectares.

Producing both green and gold kiwifruit, our Matapihi orchard is one of NZ’s top-performing orchards. Averaging 17,000 trays per hectare on gold and 13,000 per on green. 

Our success is a tribute to our highly skilled and experienced team. Employing 20 permanent staff, kaitiaki of our land, committed to preserving our natural resources through sustainable orcharding techniques.

Supported by hard working contract teams, the orchard team carries out a vigorous 11-month work programme. Kiwifruit is harvested early April and packed and stored by Seeka, before being exported around the globe.


Purchased in 2017, our Heretaunga orchard more than doubled the size of our kiwifruit operation. Stretching across the Hawkes Bay plains with a total area of 60 hectares, over 4 locations. The name Heretaunga hauku nui, Heretaunga of heavy due, speaks to the richness of this land for natural production. 

Prior to the Trust’s management, Heretaunga was a low-producing orchard averaging 6,500 trays of gold per hectare, with wide-spread PSA. With strong leadership and investment in new technology the Trust saw an opportunity to develop this whenua.

Two years on our Heretaunga orchard is averaging 13,000 trays per hectare. With close management is set to reach full production by 2021. 

Heretaunga is unique in that it is entirely covered by overhead cloth. It is the largest area of overhead shelter within the country, offering protection against wind and hail. Whilst Hawke’s Bay’s winter provides optimal chilling and the potential for organic production in the future.


Ngai Tukairangi Trust has built a varied portfolio of assets across a number of different investment classes.

Our orchard land and horticultural activities make up approximately 90% of our total asset base. Providing a strong base for the Trust to leverage off. The remaining 10% of assets are spread across other investments including commercial property in Mount Maunganui and Tauranga; equity and other operations.

Ngai Tukairangi Trust is also a major shareholder in Seeka Ltd, Zespri International Ltd. Te Awanui Huka Pak Ltd; and more recently Miro Ltd. 

In 2014, the Trust recognised the need to spread its risk by diversifying its asset base and established subsidiary company Tukairangi Investments Ltd. Tukairangi Investments looks for investment opportunities that support the long-term profitability and sustainability of the Trust.